- Check for damages. Your siding, insulation, roof shingles and gutters can easily be damaged through the winter months. Checking early can help prevent additional damage.
- Plan small window or porch gardens. Nothing welcomes spring in more than colorful flowers and your own veggie garden. Also a little bit of lawn maintenance goes a long way. Spreading mulch, and raking dead grass can significantly improve overall lawn health.
- Replace your mailbox. Chances are your mailbox took a beating over the winter; it might be time to place it. A new mailbox can complement your homes entrance by giving it a clean and welcoming look.
- Repave the driveway. Between snow, ice and salt, the driveway takes a toll every year. Remove the old material from the driveway instead of just putting a fresh coat on top. Then lay the asphalt for more long lasting results.
- Replace your windows. Clean windows are a great way to give your home a fresh feel. Go the extra mile and install energy saving windows as well. According to Energy Star, replacing old windows with Energy Star certified windows can lower household bills by 7-15%. Energy efficient windows reduce the heat that gets into your home from sunlight without reducing the visbale light.
- Build a deck or add a deck addition. Nothing says relaxation like a beautiful deck. If you already have one, consider adding a new section for more seating or adding something big like a hot tub or a fireplace.
- Have your air conditioner and heating inspected. Your air conditioner not only keeps your home cool during the hot summer months, it also dehumidifies your house and keeps mold from developing inside the walls.
- Replace your flooring. Floors also take a beating during the winter months. Replacing broken tiles, polishing wood floors, and deep cleaning carpets will help freshen up your home and keep allergens minimized.
About the author: Lindsey is a guest blogger from Carolina Flooring Services, a leader in Charleston, SC flooring by providing and installing a broad selection of flooring services.